Monday, April 16, 2012

Honduras Part 2 (My First Cold Shower)

This is about the most memorial experience on my second day in Honduras, though not as serious as the last troubling experience with the car accident, it was still a first for me. I've always grown up in comfy homes with nice bathrooms that have comforting hot water. I can stay in the shower for ages just standing there and enjoying the warmth. Before I even left for Honduras, I knew that they didn't have hot water and considering the circumstances, we all should be happy that we had running water and showers at all. I whole heartedly agreed, but my mind lingered on the fact that there wouldnt' be hot water. Shame faced, I realized that I had never taken a cold shower before. I mean, it was to the point where I would wait to take a shower until I knew that water system had hot water. Ridiculous I know, but thats the honest truth.

The second day in Honduras, my dear friend WayAnne walked by, as I was gliding into my room, and asked if I was taking a shower right then and if I wanted to walk down with her. I hesitated but knew I could no longer avoid it. I NEEDED a shower, especially since I had sweated like crazy that day. (Honduras has a VERY different climate that my home state of Alaska, Im sure you all can imagine.)

I got my things together and walked what felt like a death march to the shower. I then stared at the faucet that invited me to turn it on. I could hear WayAnne's water already running with happy splashing sounds coming from that direction. I must have stood there for ten minutes, I even said a prayer.

Then, slowly, I turned the water on and promptly huddled away from the water against the wall. "Katie, you are such a wimp." I scolded myself. "Just go, just go." I encouraged myself. So I went, into the water, and let me tell you, the only reason I didn't scream was because I didn't want WayAnne to think I was ridiculous.

After I got used to it, a really cool thing happened. I STARTED to ENJOY it. The cool water was comforting and at the end I didn't want to get out. Thanks God!! I felt bad in a way because it showed me that I was so unused to any real sacrifice. But my first cold shower taught me a lot, in a way that I wouldn't have expected and I'm not sure I couldn't even explain it to you, but it did. I'm very thankful for my cold shower!

3 comments:

  1. ohh my! I am more whimpy than you. IT tooka me till the last 3 days to let that water hit me fully. i would always have to take it step by step. But I do have to agree with you on actually getting in it. IT FELT AMAZING!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah that amazing feeling? Never happened for me. I got to the point where I only screamed at the beginning of the shower for a few seconds, but I never "didn't want to get out"... Hahaha My hat tips to you, Kates ;) I screamed like I was experiencing some kind of torture for the entirety of my glacier shower experience for the first few tries.... After that it got a little better. I am certainly joyful to be back where my shower can be as hot or cold as I jolly well please. :) LOVE YOU!! :)

    ReplyDelete